LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Headlining

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lagondanet
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Headlining Reply with quote

Moved from Restorations

Jas13141

Posted: 10 Mar 2015 07:35 pm

Were you able to source the original headliner material ? I'm just about finishing up a significant refresh on 13141 and will detail all in a post soon. Here is a pic of my headliner in both faded and original colour. Having a tough time sourcing the material and hue ! Any help would be greatly appreciated lads.

[/img]

Lagondanet
Administrator

Posted: 10 Mar 2015 09:19 pm

Jas

The build sheet indicates headlining as 'grey', although in your picture it looks almost green.

I am sure someone on here will tell you soon what material is required and where to get it. You can then compare some samples.

Jas13141

Posted: 11 Mar 2015 08:06 am

thanks Roger, looking forward to wrapping it up soon

david

Posted: 11 Mar 2015 06:10 pm

The original material was usually a nylon finish with a thin foam backing to it.

I understand that the material, as described above can be sourced from a firm called Boyriven, in Wimbledon, or Wembley, 0208 902 9581 so maybe worth a try.

Other materials can be used, I favour a West of England Cloth, it looks, in my opinion, so much better and "warmer" but is not original and if that counts, Nylon it is.

Alcantara and of course, Leather are also used with these.

But - if you go from Nylon to Leather, you may have trouble refitting the panels as they are all cut out of aluminium to suit the car as originally built and the leather is a lot thicker.

David

Jas13141

Posted: 11 Mar 2015 06:44 pm

That's great info David, thanks a ton !!

jonc

Posted: 12 Mar 2015 11:26 am

I spoke to a local trimmer about the headlining some time ago. He was very uncomplimentary about what AML used originally, calling it 'cheap scrim'.

He also suggested West of England Cloth (although I couldn't remember its name - thanks David!) which is used in Rolls-Royces of the same period. He said Alcantara would be more difficult to get right on the car as it only stretches in one direction.

I have Alcantara in my DB9 and West of England cloth in my 1982 Silver Spirit. Alcantara is nice, but I think it would look more modern.

Jonathan
Vincent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 13034, we've redone the lining with alcantara-look fabric and that's very nice !
Jas13141

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished job !

Here's another pic. I'll post more pics of 13141 restoration soon, its nearing completion. Did the carbs, all brakes/lines, rear diff, seals, interior headliner, dash leather. Can't wait to get her back !

jonc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What material did you use in the end?

It looks a good result. Its the details like the piped edge around the door opening that make it look great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Main Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: