LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photography Project
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
garydavidson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Photography Project Reply with quote

Hi,

I've started a project based on a book called 'crap cars' - in the book the author lists what he thinks are the 50 worst cars ever made. I'm looking to tell the other side of the story and find 50 people who love these cars. I'll then photograph them, the car and find out why they like the car so much.

The Lagonda is on the list, so I'm looking for somebody UK based (preferably northern) who owns one and wants to take part.

If you have any questions then feel free to ask, plus I've setup a facebook page with a bit more info on - http://www.facebook.com/garydavidsonphoto

regards
Gary
Lagondanet
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure someone will step up soon.
jonc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one? I have two and am based in Stockport Smile

Jonathan
Lagondanet
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonc wrote:

Jonathan

Perfect!
Lagondanet
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you two made a date yet?
garydavidson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lagondanet wrote:
jonc wrote:

Jonathan

Perfect!

I'll second the perfect.

I live in Leyland but my wife has family in Aston-Under-Lyne so I'm over that way quite often - I was there on Sunday.
Lagondanet
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How very dare they!?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0563522100
garydavidson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the book, because it's published by the BBC and has the Top Gear logos on it, some people think of it as an official list of crap cars.

I'm going to let all of those whose car I feature add their own comments on the page for the car, it should make for an interesting read when it's completed.
Lagondanet
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know when your project is completed.
jonc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't even know that book existed, although I have the 'My Dad Had One Of Those' book.

Here are the cars, keeping the Virage LE company:

garydavidson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice collection you have there. I've seen your message and I'll give you a call over the weekend - just have to find out when I'm next over that way.

I'll let you decide which of your cars you'd like to use, are they both on the road? If you've taken them off the road for the winter then I'm happy to wait until they are back on the road. I have 50 cars to find so it's going to take me a while.

I've not read the 'my dad had one of those' book properly, only flicked through it. There is another book called 'midlife crisis' as well, one of these might be my next project but I think there are quite a few more cars in the 'my dad had one of those', so it will take a bit longer to get all of those. I've just ordered myself one of each of these.

I thought it would be challenging finding all of the cars because a few of them are down to only a handful left, but owners groups such as this have been a great help. There are two that I can't find road going versions of, the Yugo Sana and the Talbot Tagora. A year ago there were two Tagoras on the road but no more and I think there is only one Sana left on the road but it's not known to the owners club.
Vrije

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Gary
If you really can't find a Tagora in the UK, visit the continent, in my neighbourhood are a few very nice( thought to be impossible ) examples and probably some more around Vincents place in Belgium.

Harry
garydavidson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found one Tagora but the owner describes it as 'waiting to be re-born'. I get the feeling that he will get the car back running again, I don't want to use a car that ends up being crushed 6 months later, and the car being an ongoing project makes it a bit more interesting.

I think the two that were on the road last year belonged to the same person, at least they went to a few car shows together and it's a bit of a coincidence they went off the road at the same time.
Francis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yugo Sana is one lonely puppy! Only his mother could love it! It does look a bit like a Renault however.

The Talbot Tagora now this is a stately car! I looks like a russian Zil or something like that! Was it voted the ugliest?

Francis
garydavidson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sana was basically a re-bodied Fiat Tipo so it shouldn't be that bad for a cheap runaround car but the importer to the UK went bankrupt during one of the Yugoslav wars making getting any spares a nightmare. Running gear was ok because you could use Fiat bits but if you needed bodywork you were in trouble, I've come across one story where a year old Sana was an insurance write off because they couldn't get a new headlight.

I don't think the Tagora looks that bad but I was born in the late 70's so grew up with boxy cars. A lot of cars of that era had a similar boxy look, there was a VW Passat (B2 saloon) that looks very similar. The Tagora had the PRV engine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRV_engine) which by all accounts is excellent for relaxed driving and motorway cruising, it's one of four cars on the list with that engine - Tagora, Delorean, Renault Safrane and the Volvo 262c.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Main Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: