LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instrument panel overlays

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lagondanet
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Instrument panel overlays Reply with quote

I found some old emails (January 2011) from David Marks on this subject today which I may have neglected to post!

'Please see the picture of three instrument panel
overlays, from the top, 13150, 13302, 13307.

I am looking into having new ones made.

As there are several different styles (how many differences can you spot?), I cannot, unfortunately order a huge number of any of them so unit cost is relatively high.

There are more variations again, 13049 for example is different, I think
about eight are listed by part number and Japan is unique due to the
addition of an "unleaded fuel" logo - somewhere.

If I get even a few owners wanting one style in particular, it will reduce
the cost per item.

At the moment it is £150.00 plus VAT per overlay.

If others have an interest but their overlay is different from these three,
I would need to have that as a sample (they would have it returned and there would be no damage or cutting etc to it).

I have spent a few hours today with a representative from the manufacturer so we have a fair idea of what is required now.'

and

'What is clear is that there is no defined LHD and RHD style as both 13150
(LHD) and 13302 (RHD) are the same orientation and then (13307) is
the opposite way round but is RHD!

13049 is also the same orientation as 13307.

The material and construction is also very different in all three of them,
this is part of the cost problem, we cannot even have "blanks" made in bulk and then just print the fonts as required because the base material will change with all of these.'

jonc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very interesting. I had always assumed there were only three:

Pre 13284:
Early (no logos) LHD.
Early (no logos) RHD.
13284 on:
Late (logos)

This was because 13379 is a right-speedo version whereas 13279 is a left-speedo one (reverse of the top one in the picture).

However, I can see that 1 and 3 appear to have the red filter laminated in whereas both of mine have the filters stuck on the rear. You can see in this picture of 13279 that the clock filter had fallen off when I got the car. Also, as you can see, 13277 has the later binnacle artwork - this would correspond to the later (logos) dash but I know they have been changed.

There are also multiple versions of the PCB - from talking to Roger I think there is a hand-laid out track (curvy copper tracks) and a geometric (possibly computer laid out) one. 13277 and 13379 have very different looms on the back of the dash also. I wonder if this coincides with the overlays?

Do those panels look original? I can imagine this area of the car was troublesome and many dashes were swapped out rather than being fixed. In fact there is anecdotal evidence on the AMOC forum that Memotrace did that with some Virage panels rather than actually repairing them.
david

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It became extremely complicated as there seemed to be no logic with font/text or material style, - let alone left and right hand drive as I have seen both styles of I/P fitted to either LHD or RHD cars.

Then, you get to the material side of things and it becomes even more difficult.

Some were made in the end but it worked out a lot more expensive than the initial proposal, due in no small part to the very small runs.

Fitting them is also very difficult, it can take 2 - 3 hours to line up and cut the panel and if cut wrong, that's it, ruined.

We had one style made, fitted it and then found the whole panel became "translucent" from the backlighting so it needed removing and going back to the manufacturer for a light impermiable layer to be added.

A few of the original materials used are no longer available due to changes in EU rules etc so that also added to the problems.

As for the types of circuit boards, 13049 is hand drawn, 13150 is "computer generated", 13302 is the same and 13307 is hand drawn - each with the bulkhead harness to match so it is not simple to jus swap an I/P over.

Nothing's simple, is it!

David
Vincent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody means everything is simple on a Lagonda... Mr. Green
Vrije

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my lhd-s look the same as are both rhd-s
but don't try to connect 057 rhd and 059 rhd, as all connections differ.

But as a work off art ? I'm reworking one of them to 220 volts back lighting Twisted Evil cooool.

Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Main Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: