LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Panel gaps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelydave39

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Panel gaps Reply with quote

Does anyone else have unusually bad panel gaps on the Lagonda boot lid? I can stick my index finger in the gap on both sides of the boot lid. The rest of the car isn't bad, but the boot lid gaps actually get comments. That's how noticeable they are. The car was never hit, it was built this way. Anyone else with the same?
Vincent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the sills and the rear wheel arches on the door side...sometimes the chassis is so tired that it may open rear...Sorry to say this, but it could cost some money to fix it !
I'm hoping for you that's not the case here...
jonc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly the panel gaps on 13277 and 13379 are not like this.

When you say you can get a finger in, is this all down the side from the rear window to the bumper?

Since these cars were hand-built it is possible that the boot lid is sized according to the size of the gap (like the doors). Maybe the boot lid has been replaced with one from another car?

Jonathan
steelydave39

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Vincent, sills are in great shape and there is zero evidence of any damage that would have caused the boot lid to be replaced. I cant for the life of me understand how this car left the factory without someone saying these gaps were unacceptable. The gap on the right is 1 cm and the left is about 1 1/2 cm. These are pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90191338@N07/8204089489/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90191338@N07/8205180924/
steelydave39

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old Lagonda, chassis 13376, which was the very first 1985 car and one of only 4 85's w/ the original LED dash did not have this problem
jonc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boot lid has a weakness along the edge above the number plate recess where the horizontal main flat piece curves over to the rear section.

If someone repeatedly closes the boot by using the top edge then this causes the edge to crack, and can leave dents in this area. Maybe this would be a reason to replace a boot lid?

As you can see from your measurements, these hand-made cars are built to quite wide tolerances!

I will measure my boot lids if I remember today..

Jonathan
jonc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, maybe not wide tolerences here.

My gaps are pretty much a consistent 4-5mm, and the width of each opening is within a millimetre or so:

13277:

13379:

All pictures here:

http://s1238.beta.photobucket.com/user/joncuk/library/Lagonda/Reference/Panel%20Gaps
Vrije

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the top rear fenders are so weak, you can just push them in and out by hand, 057 had a way to close gap, got a rubber hammer, hit it just once at the top and then it was already too wide, so pulled back bare handed,no dents or folds to happen.

Harry
steelydave39

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats strange Harry. One thing I can say for my car is the fenders are so ridiculously solid no human could possibly move them. As a semi pro weightlifter, I think I can say this w/authority. My fenders are literally like stone. I wonder why now that you're telling me this. Perhaps method of construction modified over time?
Vrije

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Confused just checked it this minute, got a grip at the two fender tips with both hands and pulled, easily moving some mills!! Rolling Eyes ( Oh yeah, I'm not angry mr. Mcgee and not turning green Hulk style Wink )

Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Main Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: