LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boot floor - spare wheel cover
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall seeing a picture of a V8 with 45DCOEs fitted; it may have been the Bulldog though so not the same clearance problems. Really fuel injection is the answer here, not side-draught carbs.

And if you are going to the trouble of moving from non-standard, why not buy a rotten Virage and put the 320 BHP 32 valve engine in?
jonc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it - Aston Martin V-8 by Michael Bowler, 1985.

"Cross-over manifolding allowed the engine to be installed in an otherwise standard DBS without raising the bonnet bulge"

This was during the development of the V8; the text says:

Within a few days of the first run-ups of the 5-litre version, it was tried with cross-over 45DCOE Webers on the basis that such carburetters were £7 cheaper than the 46IDA; they eliminated a 2000rpm flat-spot and and they dropped the overall engine height by 2 1/4 inches.
Vrije

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jon, must be the only AML V8 book I don't have Embarassed

But as you see some changes can be seen as improvements not imperfections.

And as excuse :13007 was a factory prototype/testbed vehicle (built around'77/78 but with early 70's block with later 580 heads)
They must have done a lot of testing with it hence loose electrical connectors, fixing holes and uncommon part locations.

Harry
ksumrall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John and/or Arnaud,

I am also missing the floor to my trunk in 13441. And I don't know anyone with a Lagonda to make a template from their trunk floor. Can either of you send me accurate measurements of that piece?

Please include how far from the rear edge to place the brackets for the clamps.

Thanks!
RRV363

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do it for you. What is your email address?
ksumrall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks rrv363,

Here's a disposable email address, so I can turn it off if spam bots find it here

lagondanet.5.retro42 _at_ xoxy.net

Btw. I have a 1985 series 2, crt dash, LHD car, if that matters.

Thanks again!
Vincent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Don't know if that's used in the U States, bu the most 'as original' would be cut in what we call in Belgium 'betonplex' wood, used to make concrete buildings.
Who said Lagondas were impossible to restore ?
ksumrall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up betonplex, and it sounds a lot like what we in the USA call MDO, Medium Density Overlay:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_density_overlay_panel

I'll get me some of that. How thick should it be? 1/2 inch?

I also got a template for the piece from RRV363 (Thanks!) so I'll soon have a new floor in my trunk.

What color should I paint it? Flat black?

And finally, I'll need to add 2 attach points for the clips in the floor of my trunk. Could someone please post a picture of those clips so i can make some from a piece of thick aluminum sheet?

Thanks everyone!
ksumrall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it only took me 18 months (sigh) but I finally got off my ass and started working on the Lagonda again. First thing was to make the new floor for the trunk. Using the template I received from RRV363 (Thanks!), I cut a new piece of MDO board based on the template. It fit first try! I did decide to sand a curve onto the edge near the battery cable to make it easier to install, and also so there is no sharp edge of the board rubbing against the insulation of the cable.

I then primed it, spray painted it flat black, made two latch catches based on pictures I saw earlier in this thread. I made them from 1/8" thick aluminum, because I had some lying around. I also primed them and spray painted them black. I took a few pictures and you can see them here:

http://scrapheap.net/lagonda_boot_floor

There is a picture of the trunk floor installed, a closeup of the latch and a notch I added to make room for the spare tire inflator hose that a previous owner had added, and the bottom carpet laid on the trunk, and not sagging into the spare tire well for the first time.

The piece that covers the fuel tank is not installed as I'm about to replace the fuel pump, after having gotten the part about 18 months ago.

Thanks again to everyone who helped, I really appreciate it!
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: boot floor template Reply with quote

Hi, any chance you could send me a copy of the boot floor template you used? I'm doing that now on 13465,

cheers
Steve
Freddi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I would join right in. I also need to build one as mine is missing. Can anybody help with a drawing? I was in contact with RRV363, but it got interrupted somehow...

Current status of 237: It's temporary back on the road. "Temporary" because the display panel with speedometer etc. is not working and I have to fix this first before I can drive it.
But German TÜV and German DMV made all the required stamps. So it's now German registered at the plate DD-076. Smile
ksumrall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve and Freddi,

Yes, I can make copies of the template I got from RRV363. I'll need to get a large piece of paper, and that may be delayed as I'm in the SF bay area, and they've just decreed we are to shelter in place and most businesses are shut down due to the corona virus. But as soon as I can get a large piece of paper, I'll make two more copies of the template.

Send me your mailing address via private message on this forum, and I'll get them to you as soon as I can. But it may be 3 weeks, as that is the current end date of the shelter in place order.
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer however after reading your reply I realised I could just make my own template which I did and had a cut and painted boot floor in an hour! cheers Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: