LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lagonda Survivor Trophy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Lagonda Survivor Trophy Reply with quote

My dear Lagonda friends,

I have been mulling the idea of creating a new class of reward for our efforts in restoring our beloved cars.

Alvira had been thru a great path in her life and due to the dedication of an owner in love with his car, she has gotten the proper attention and care to have her at her best despite the decay of time and of misfortune.

Born in Newport-Pagnell, like all of her sisters, she was bound for Bahrain and her Emirati first owner. Probably out of bordom, she was only used for 17 000kms before being set aside in an unclimatized warehouse.

After 20 years of dormant status, even with this little use, the poor Alvira was in need of great care.

In 2006 went thru a full restoration after I aquired her. Sadly a careless mechanic destroyed the rear end of the car and did significant damage to her. This could have been the end of Alvira, as the insurance company debated just writing a check and sending her to the scrap yard. A donner car was found to have her rebuild and she was saved from the accountants.

From Canada she was transported to Europe to join hes sisters for the LagondaFest 2009. Overheating issues kept her from being seen at her best and required some attention. It was suggested that a new heart was needed but, with the help of experts, her heart was saved and rebuild to it's former glory.

In 2010, driving to the Lagondafest 2010, her owner drove her in the back of a Peugeot on the highway. Minor damage was done, but a full repaint and rubber treatment was done so that she look her best again. All panels needed to be blocked and some rust was attended to. Doors were taken off to be levelled perfectly flat. A full strip down to have her redressed with a new robe.

In September 2011, she will join again the merry group of Lagonda owners we are, with a gift to her sisters.

In honnor of the dedication her owner showed her, and in recognition of other cars and their owners that went thru wonderfull experiences as well as unfortunate incidents, Alvira will present a Trophy to the car that survived the most hardship and with help of her owner, above monetaty logic and was preserved to join her sisters in Brittany.

I will encourage our members to present cars to be evaluated for this Trophy.
Do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or candidate proposal.

Francis de Leeuw

Last edited by Francis on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:12 am; edited 3 times in total
Lagondanet
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Francis,

Another trophy. Excellent.
Does this complement or compete with the White Lightning Trophy?
Does the car have to suffer a crash or catastrophe or be saved from scrapping?
What makes it distinct?
Francis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Trophy does not compete with White Lightning. WL is a restoration Trophy. It is dedicated to cars that have been used and that have suffered the ravages of time and use. WL is more to do with restoring to spec.

The Lagonda Trophy will highlight the dedication of owners not to let go of a car because it's too far gone. Not to let bean counters decide the faith of a car based on it's (non) value.

To be admissible in this category, a car must have been destroyed in a way other than ware and tear. Accidents, fire, flood or taken out of a write-off situation.

The two cars that come to mind right off the bat are, one, the cars that have been purchased together two years ago in the US, one was in a flood, a late series 3, 13536 with one that was destroyed by fire (black series 3).

If this car gets to be to be finished and back on the road and if the owner brings it to the lagondafest 2011, it would be a candidate for the Lagonda Trophy.

The other one would be the bar-be-cue car that Vincent purchased. It looks good from one side, but the metal from the body panel have melted on the other side. A complete basket case. Now with the help of a donner car, this one can be brought back to life and would be a great candidate for the Lagonda Trophy.

The emphesis of this reward is not accuracy of spec restoration but the brigning back to life a car that should have been parted out for parts.

I am looking for other stories of that nature to get this judging going.

Anyone with candidate cars should let me know so that I can add them for consideration.

Harry's convertible project could also be included in this category, if it ever gets back on the road!

Francis
Lagondanet
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Francis. All is clear.
Vincent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francis wrote:
The other one would be the bar-be-cue car that Vincent purchased. It looks good from one side, but the metal from the body panel have melted on the other side. A complete basket case. Now with the help of a donner car, this one can be brought back to life and would be a great candidate for the Lagonda Trophy.

Francis

But to achieve this, 13034 will give the panels, front bumper, grille and lights, its motor, windscreen and some electrics...
So I save one when scrapping another one...
I studied the conversion of 13034 to LHD but LHD/RHD shells are same only since 1984. In this case, the cars are from 1980 and 1981 and a lot of parts have to be rewelded, without any certitude of fine and good/safe result.

Does anybody have a car for spares ? I just need the front car with the motor. Rolling Eyes
And not a lot of money ( really very few ) to spend on this Mr. Green
Francis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,
today I purchased the Trophy. It's, hopefully going to go to a good car.
I need some candidates to have enter the contest.
Please do not hesitate to submit your cars or the car of your choice for this award.
Lagondanet
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francis
Please keep in touch with Sandra on this.
Vrije

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Convertible will not be present this year due to personal and resession reasons, but not to worry Francis I have not Ever abandoned
any project for what ever reason (even my Austin mini pickup was completed years ago replacing some 90 !!! % of all sheet metal)

However a lot of bodywork is being done to 13059 lately (up to 01.00 weekdays) but can't be sure
it's drivable for next month Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes as TIG welders and painters have hollydays too these days.

Harry
Francis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will count this one for next year then!
Vincent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Francis, to have awarded my 13034, getting then a big impulse to progress its restoration ! Very Happy

As Roger asked, I'll post about the evolution of the works very soon. Cool
Lagondanet
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well deserved Vincent!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Main Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: