LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transmission
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
david

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a 2.88:1 diff into 13380 and it has helped with cruising speed versus engine revs but disappointingly the off the line performance of the car has been affected, there is just not the torque in these engines in standard form to handle the diff ratio change on its' own.

Part of me wants to refit the 3.07:1 diff but I can't find the time!

Maybe re jetting the carbs for idle and progression would help but this is time consuming as well.

It may not be a problem with injected cars as the overall performance of the engine was much improved.

I think a Chrysler A518 or maybe 618 would be the simplest way to go as they are not microprocessor controlled.

A good four speed conversion is a ZF 4HP22 as this is cable controlled and no ECU's involved.

Ossi has one in his car (ex Landrover I think but the sump is not ideal, use the Jaguar/BMW box for a more suitable sump) and his goes very well.

Fitting a 4HP24 or GM 4L80E would be very complex if indeed impossible due to the entire box function being controlled by an ECU and said ECU requires and relies upon engine and road speed inputs in order to function.

Otherwise they just remain in 3rd gear and this somewhat defeats the object of the exercise.....

I doubt a 4L80E would physically fit, they are huge and also weigh an incredible amount, probably the heaviest modern aluminium cased gearbox we have ever dealt with.

David
Hawke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Torqueflight transmission swap Reply with quote

Vrije wrote:
,who wants to be the ginea pig?
Lets discuss in person with Harry and see if we can run a deal on developing a straight Out and in swop kit as more more Lag fans seem to be intrested.

M

Have also been thinking about this kind of a transmission upgrade for a while. Did anything ever come of your discussions last year?? Since the tailshaft housing on a A518 is about 3.5 inches longer, will it even fit inside the Lag driveshaft tunnel without major surgery?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: