LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

self levelling shocks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: self levelling shocks Reply with quote

Hi All,

13277 has standard rear shocks instead of the original self-levelling ones. I imagine this is usual as I don't think you can get new ones any more.

The back of the car is slightly lower than the front, something I have noticed on photos of other cars. I was considering putting self-levellers back on the car - either used ones, or an alternative to correct this.

Does anyone still have these, or a modern alternative? Is it worth putting them back?

thanks,

Jonathan
Vrije

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me again ,got a set as new Koni's
13057 will have air suspention in the back.

harry
david

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within limits, you can raise the ride height with the fitting of the non self levelling shocks - the lower spring pan has several settings.

This is achieved by removing the shock and spring and lifting the clip out of the lower groove and moving it up, maybe two slots? - depending on how low the car is now.

The higher up the shock absorber you set the lower pan, the higher the car will sit.

You must not go too far, otherwise the spring will become "coil bound" (over compressed) and/or the spring will "bulge" and hit the side of the vertical tunnel in which it sits.

The self levellers do work well but only, it seems, when the cars are used regularly.

There will be a cost to recharge the self levellers to the high pressure they run at. In the UK, unless you are very lucky, this can be more than the cost of the shocks from AML! - This is one reason why many cars are converted now, it is cost and reliability, plus, of course availability.

Also, if the self levellers have been removed and you propose to refit them, make sure you have the brackets that secure the reservoir to the side of the wheel arch from within the boot, these are usually taken off and discarded but they can be made quite easily.

David
jonc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David.

Sounds like in my case I would see little benefit with self-levellers, given the low miles. I didn't know about the ability to adjust the lower pan so that's a real gem Smile

Will give this adjustment a try over the next few weeks since the back seats are out at the moment from servicing the fuel flap release mechanisms.

Jonathan.
Vrije

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends,
I have two sets of self leveling shocks AND I think I have found the solution for refilling sheaply after a nightly brainwave. Exclamation Exclamation
I will test run on 13059

Keep you informed.

harry
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Rear shock absorbers Reply with quote

My rear shocks are shot and I'll just replace for now (yeah will most likely end up permenant ) with standard shocks, What brand / type shock have been used successfully, any opinions?
cheers
Steve 13465
Hawke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone want a set of clean self-levelling rear shocks? Yes, they DO need to be recharged. If they are of any use, they are yours for the cost of shipping. Otherwise, in the bin they go...
david

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'll take them please.

Can you mail me at david@davidmarksgarages.co.uk and we can arrange how to pay etc.

Thanks for the offer, it would be a shame for them just to go.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: