LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to remove CRTs from dash

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksumrall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: How to remove CRTs from dash Reply with quote

Of the 3 CRTs in my car, only the right one (tachometer) works well. The middle one sometimes displays what it should, but usually doesn't. And the left one (speedometer) only shows a light overscan, no actual graph is displayed. So I want to remove them and rebuild them. Another one of my hobbies is arcade video game collecting. I have 7, and rebuilding monitors is a pretty common part of the hobby, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to rebuild these little monitors, assuming I can get them out.

I have removed the 4 pieces that comprise the top of my dash (they need new leather anyhow) and I thought it would be easy to get the CRTs out after that. But looking closer, that doesn't seem to be the case. The CRTs are bolted to the front of the dash at each corner of the CRT, and getting to the lower screws seems difficult if not impossible.

So, what else do I need to do to get the CRTs out? If the answer is to remove the face of the dash, how is that done? What else do I need to remove? Do I need to remove the steering wheel or drop the steering column? I already have the center console out, so if that is required, at least that part is already done. Smile

I looked in the scan of the Lagonda service manual that I have, but it is for LED cars.

Many thanks in advance for any and all help!

Ken Sumrall
chassis 13441
Lagondanet
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Make sure the power is OFF!

2. http://lagondanet.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1474&highlight=crt+remove
ksumrall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay, I was at the Reno Air Races for 5 days, and extremely busy with the planes our museum brought (CAF Southern California Wing, we brought a PBJ (the Marine version of the B-25 bomber), a F6F Hellcat, F8F Bearcat, Mitsubishi A6M3 Zero, and a P-51D Mustang).

Thanks for the link, but I've already got the top of my dash off, both the passenger and drivers side. I figured out that passenger side was removed bottom to top, and I had pulled the top of the drivers side dash off a while ago.

What I need to do now is remove the CRTs and the printed circuit driver boards so I can rebuild them. I'm hoping I don't have to remove the windshield to do this, but if I do, please somebody let me know.

If I don't need to remove the windshield, do I just start removing driver side dash pieces from the top down until access to the CRTs is obvious and easy?

Thanks!
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken,
my windscreen was cracked so had to come out anyway, that made the job quite simple. Make sure you de-energize the CRT's before removing them, plenty of videos on you tube on how to do that. Then its just a matter of disconnecting plugs and removing the individual boards. I had a rats nest in my dash so you can imagine how filthy it was but so far the only damage was some wires being eaten. I am yet to send the boards to be checked, that's a bit of a stumbling point my end, I do know that 2 CRT's would light up and the one that didn't was the one that had chewed wires so I live in hope.

I'll try to figure out how to post photo's

cheers Steve
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also note that you remove the whole panel with the 3 CRT's, they do not come out of the dash individually. There are 6 screws holding this in place, they are easily identifiable once the dash veneer has been removed.
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do either of these shortcuts work? 1 is the folder of photos re dash and 1 is a photo of the CRT's

https://imgur.com/a/LasVAOX

https://imgur.com/DJM7zJ7
ksumrall

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve for the comments and links to the pictures.

I'm also touched by how many people have warned me to discharg the CRTs before touching them. Smile Luckily, I've been working on arcade monitors for 20+ years, and the voltages on those CRTs is upwards of 25,000 volts. So I have the tools and knowledge to do this safely. Smile

Your clue about removing the 3 CRTs together as a group is what I needed to hear. Now I need to figure out how to remove the veneer. Hopefully it's obvious (and accessible with the windshield on) once I look at the car again. Which sadly won't be for another 2 weeks. Sigh, I have too many hobbies and interests...

Disconnecting the CRTs should be trivial. Each one should have a connection for the deflection yoke, the HV anode cap, and the little neck board. Once the CRTs are out, the boards should be easy to remove. Once I have everything free, I'll put the best working CRT/board combo on a towel on the dash to insulate it, and hook up each signal from the computer to make sure all three signals are good. Then I'll go through the boards, order replacement electrolytic capacitors and other components that age poorly, and replace said components. I'll post a list of parts to replace once I figure it out.

BTW, that rat did a number on your dash. Ugh. So dirty and disgusting in there. Sad Mine just looks old with a light coating of dirt/dust.

Thanks again!

Ken Sumrall
chassis 13441
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, the veneer is held on by 3 nuts along the top/back, once removed my veneer pulled forward and off.
I'm sure all this can be and has been done many times by others with the screen fitted.

Nice list of aircraft by the way!

cheers
Steve
ksumrall

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve! I'm looking forward to getting the CRTs and boards out in 2 or so weeks when I have time to work on my car again.

I'd invite you to come visit our air museum, except you're about as far away as it's possible to get from it. Smile But check out our complete collection at www.cafsocal.com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: