LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement fuel pump?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksumrall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Replacement fuel pump? Reply with quote

So the fuel pump in my '85 Series 2 has gone intermittent. Took me a while to figure out it was the cause of the car randomly dying, only to work again after waiting a day, and once after getting towed to my mechanic. Sad

So I'm looking for a replacement pump. I called my local Aston-Martin dealer, and they quoted $800 for a new pump, though they are still trying to figure out it's availability. And that seems a bit steep, though it's about what I expected from Aston-Martin.

I did some searching in these forums, and there are a few mentions of replacing fuel pumps. Someone hooked up an external fuel pump as a temporary solution, but they never posted what their final solution was. Also, someone said a Jaguar fuel pump was close, but not quite the same.

So has anyone figured out since those posts where to get a replacement fuel pump for my S2 Lagonda? I can't imagine Aston-Martin specced a custom fuel pump for this car, we just need to figure out what it is.

Perhaps the answer is to pull the current pump and look for part numbers? I really don't want to pull it, as I don't have a large container to hold a lot of gas, and I also don't know how full my tank is as my fuel gauge (and engine temp sensor, and RPM sensor, and 2 of the 3 CRTs) are currently inop.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ken Sumrall
ksumrall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh, nobody has any suggestions, eh?

I guess I need to take one for the team, order the pump from Aston-Martin, and have the mechanic save the old pump for me. Then I'll attempt to match it to a cheaper pump from some other manufacturer, and I'll post my research here.
Lagondanet
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken. Maybe give it a bit longer?
ksumrall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. I've been so busy at work today I forgot to call the dealer, so he's still waiting for my reply. It's the start of a 3 day weekend here in the States, so I'll give it a few more days.

Thanks!
Vrije

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First !!!! Get some container(s) and syphon out all gas. Hah isnt tank almost empty and so only stalling when cornering ?
Than take out pump and check fuel senderunit in the same go ( you could temporarely hook up an analogue meter to it in the trunk) .and check for numbers. Is it indeed pump or maybe even the relais feeding it ?

ps : topics running are carb cars from memory so different set up
david

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I assume that VIN 13441 is a carburettor car, if an EFI unit, the pump is under the car just in front of the right side of the rear axle. - But the problem could well be an issue with relays (under the passenger side dash top) or bad connections.

If it is the pump, in this case a Bosch replacement is easily purchased for circa GBP120.00 or so in the UK.

If a carburettor car, you will, as Vrije says, need to remove the fuel before removing the pump as that sits in the bottom right corner as you look at the tank sitting at the rear of the boot.

The pump is the same as the the series 2 Jaguar XJ6 unit, that fits into each fuel tank on those cars.

These pumps come as an assembly that fits into the tank housing just as it does in the Lagonda by locating the end plate into the housing and using a locking ring and seal to secure.

But, the relationship of the pump to the end plate is different with the Lagonda than the Jaguar unit.

So, the cheapest and simplest thing to do is to purchase a Jaguar pump assembly, around GBP120.00 or so from parts suppliers such as SNG Barratt and then strip this unit down, remove the pump and build it into the original Lagonda housing.

SNG Barratt do have a USA branch as well.

There is one final wrinkle..... The Jaguar units are handed for right and left fuel tanks, I would think the pump itself is common to both and that just the housing is different but I don't know.

if you elect to go this route, order a pump for a Series 2 XJ6 with submerged pumps.

David
Vrije

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ps to Ken Sumrall, could you please make contact with Richard Vaughan, regarding missing picture(s) of car nr 13441 in the Lagonda book at 363insights@gmail.com thanks, and good luck with fuel pump gremlin. Harry
Vincent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
Hi,

I assume that VIN 13441 is a carburettor car, if an EFI unit, the pump is under the car just in front of the right side of the rear axle. - But the problem could well be an issue with relays (under the passenger side dash top) or bad connections.

If it is the pump, in this case a Bosch replacement is easily purchased for circa GBP120.00 or so in the UK.

If a carburettor car, you will, as Vrije says, need to remove the fuel before removing the pump as that sits in the bottom right corner as you look at the tank sitting at the rear of the boot.

The pump is the same as the the series 2 Jaguar XJ6 unit, that fits into each fuel tank on those cars.

These pumps come as an assembly that fits into the tank housing just as it does in the Lagonda by locating the end plate into the housing and using a locking ring and seal to secure.

But, the relationship of the pump to the end plate is different with the Lagonda than the Jaguar unit.

So, the cheapest and simplest thing to do is to purchase a Jaguar pump assembly, around GBP120.00 or so from parts suppliers such as SNG Barratt and then strip this unit down, remove the pump and build it into the original Lagonda housing.

SNG Barratt do have a USA branch as well.

There is one final wrinkle..... The Jaguar units are handed for right and left fuel tanks, I would think the pump itself is common to both and that just the housing is different but I don't know.

if you elect to go this route, order a pump for a Series 2 XJ6 with submerged pumps.

David

XJS pump fits too...
ksumrall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your input. Yes, this is a 1085 carbureted car, with beautiful (partially working) CRTs. I'll get to the CRTs soon.

I'm looking into the Series 2 Xj6 or XJS pumps.

I'm pretty sure the issue is not the relay because the pump starts up when I rap on the tank near the pump with my knuckles. And the pump doesn't purr, it sounds like it's not the smoothest running thing. It could be dirty connectors on the pump, but that sound makes me think it's the pump.

I was going to have my mechanic (local Aston-Martin dealer, with a mechanic who used to work on Lagondas when they were new in the 80s!) do the work, mostly because I don't have a large container to hold the gas I'll need to drain from the tank, but a friend suggested I just put it in one of my other cars. What a genius idea! So I'm now considering doing the job myself.

Can I re-use the gasket currently on the tank, or should I cut a new one. I had the gasket replaced about 5 years ago, by an idiot mechanic who screwed up the carbs (he claimed to know what he was doing, clearly not) but he did fix the seeping gasket on the fuel pump. So it's not that old, but if I need to make a new one, what material should I use? And should I used a gasket sealing compound too?

Thanks again everyone!

Ken
ksumrall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I mailed Richard Vaughan about missing pictures of 13441. Though there are a bunch of pictures taken by the guy who sold it to me, available here:

http://www.vassard.dk/lagonda/gallery/13441.html

What is this Lagonda book you speak of?

My car is not currently ready for pictures. The interior is quite disassembled for a thorough cleaning, and also the dash is apart to fix the CRTs/computer and climate control system. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions about those systems (in particular the climate control) in the next few months. Smile

___
Ken
david

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The XJS pump will only fit the fuel injected cars, it needs to be a pump from the carburettor 3.4L or 4.2L S11 XJ models with submersed pumps.

David
ksumrall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification David.

You are a veritable fount of knowledge about Lagondas, and we all owe you a big thanks for all your help!
Vincent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
Hi,

The XJS pump will only fit the fuel injected cars, it needs to be a pump from the carburettor 3.4L or 4.2L S11 XJ models with submersed pumps.

David

Right ! As XJS are all FI.
Vrije

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken, book referred to is Richards : Aston Martin Lagonda, yesterday´s tomorrow today , AND I see the problem, pics are on Oposite page, 442 pics missing ,Sorry .

New Lagonda book! Reply with quote
Richard Vaughan writes:

The wedge book has now been released and is available for purchase. It is available on the websites of most large online book retailers like Amazon and Barnes and Nobel, but if you want a copy, I’d ask that you consider buying it directly from the publisher using the links below.

I hope you enjoy it.

HARDCOVER

http://www.lulu.com/shop/richard-vaughan/aston-martin-lagonda-yesterdays-tomorrow-today/hardcover/product-23700773.html

PERFECT BOUND GLOSSY SOFTCOVER

http://www.lulu.com/shop/richard-vaughan/aston-martin-lagonda-yesterdays-tomorrow-today/paperback/product-23700627.html
ksumrall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a series 2 XJ6 fuel pump from ebay. I choose the right hand tank version. I'll respond to this thread in a month or so once I receive the pump, and then find time to do the replacement. I'm busy the next few weekends, but I hope to get to it within a month!

Also, re: the Lagonda book, I've been e-mailing Richard, and I'll order a copy of the book soon.

Thanks again everyone for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: