LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drivers side dash top removal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Drivers side dash top removal Reply with quote

Need to remove the dash top, LHD CRT model, any hints on how to do this please?
Passenger side is easy, hopefully drivers side not much different?
cheers
Steve 13465
Vincent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start from the down side, and unscrew.
But I prefer you do it than myself.
Pay attention the air conditioning command is very close to the wirings and the video cards on the left side.
To reassemble this after without trouble is not a little play.
I wish you a very good luck...
david

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the passenger side, as Vincent says, start with the lowest section (leather) and remove the two screws from under the lower lip and pull down and away.

The next wood section is retained by the visible screws and again pulls down and away.

The top panel is detached by removing the visible screws and if you are lucky will ease forwards, up and away and come out. - Sometimes the fit is so tight that you will need to remove the drivers side instrument cover panel before hand.

To remove the drivers side cover panel will, again as Vincent says, expose all the high voltage CRT electrics so care must be taken and the battery MUST be switched off.

This panel is secured by four BA threaded screws going from under the front lip into the retaining frame.

Once these are removed, lift the panel up slightly and detach from two slotted lugs either side of the wood trim to the CRTs.

Then it will come forwards and out, be careful as is lifted over the steering wheel as you can catch the wheel and damage it with the sharp edges. A cloth over the wheel is a good preventative measure.

David
Steve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vincent and David, can always count on this forum and you two for good reliable responses!

Is it recommended that I remove the passenger side first or can I just do the drivers side on its own.

I found a lot of rat droppings on the passenger side when I removed that to access the 3 relays so who knows what I'll find under the drivers side!

cheers
Steve
JohanB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish this question would have been posted a few weeks earlier. In the process of reassembling my car I started with the driver side which was pretty obvious starting from the bottom and working my way up. Started the same way on the passenger side as common sense made it sound logical the same principle would apply. Not so, the passenger side is assembled in the opposite sequence starting at the top. It meant taking things apart and starting over again...
There must be a logic why each dash side is done differently but it is beyond me. Oh well one learns every time and above all, better to ask first instead of assuming.
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As expected found a dead rat and nest and a few chewed through wires. Vacuumed most of the nest out and removed the rat but didn't touch any of the electricals for fear of doing damage to them or myself.
The windscreen needs to be removed so will have a closer inspection then.

But with dash top off and wood dash removed you can understand the top down removal for the drivers side. Thanks David.

I'm extremely optimistic that once the whole area is cleaned up and the chewed through wiring is repaired the dash will work....optimistic or idiot, time will tell Smile

cheers
Steve
Vrije

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Steve,,,you will take the screen out. Thats a 4hour job and maybe 60%
of getting it out undamaged. All knife/ hand cutting, working round the aluminium insert which is T-shaped.
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Marjie, Harry,,

Unfortunately the screen is cracked so it needs to be replaced anyway, so the upshot is that I will have easy access to everything for a while.

I managed to remove the T piece from the windscreen and the sunroof without any damage so I'm happy with that and I have already bought a new screen from Pilkington in the UK.

Do you know where I can get the T piece for the rear window?

cheers

Steve
Vrije

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, we are out of stock but David Marks in Nottigham has /had some original and non bend footage, needs to be shaped to fit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: