LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

power to fuel pump and coils

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: power to fuel pump and coils Reply with quote

Hi again, 13465 is getting closer to hitting the road again but, there's always a "but"!

New battery and replaced fuel pump, but with ignition on there's no power to the pump or to the coils. Engine turns so I assume ignition switch is OK but no power at fuse 12 either ( if that means anything)

I guess I'm quite naively hoping someone will say " oh its just this relay or that wire"

Car is CRT dash and second fuel injected car made from what I can gather, my E-type and Espada combined have less wire than this beast!

Any ideas gladly welcomed,

cheers
Steve
splosh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spotted this and thought.....
Does your car have the crash inertia switch ? maybe it is activated ? this would cut out the fuel pump and coils.

Also, not sure about Lagondas but some makes of cars will not have power to the fuel pump or coils until the starter is engaged.

Food for thought.
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Splosh, I did have a fiddle with that and even disconnected the 3 connections and joined them together, no pump still.
Does that also cut out the coils? I thought just the pump,

cheers
Steve
david

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on emissions spec, there are two or three relays tucked right under the windscreen accessed from inside the car - remove the passenger side fascia top and you will see them.

One is the main, then there is a fuel pump/idle air valve and finally the gear change relay, if fitted.

If the main relay does not function, nothing will.

You will need to check for an ignition 12V to each of the relay low tension supplies and work from there.

If no power, work back from there to the fuse box.

There is a wiring diagram in the EFI manual listed under technical on Lagondanet. - http://lagondanet.com/testerefi5850001.pdf

The relays are 5 pin units and must be the correct ones.

David
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

thanks for the response, I'm just getting around to addressing this now as I've have been busy sorting my wife's Interceptor and Mini.
How does the dash top come off, do I start at the bottom and work my way upwards?
The car being LHD has a bunch of relays in the drivers side footwell, they all seem to work fine.
cheers
Steve
david

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,

Removal of two screws on the underside of the lower leather trim panel allows that to be dropped down and away.

This will reveal three screws, if all are fitted, locating the lower section of the wood trim and again this can be dropped down and away once they are removed.

Now there will be three BA screws locating the top trim panel, remove these and bring the panel forwards, it can be tight against the 'A' post and instrument pack cover.

Once this is out, you will see three relay holders with either two or three relays in them at the base of the screen area.

David
Steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,
Thanks for this, I've removed the dash top, and tested the relays. 2 of them are 4RA 003 510-13 and one is 4RD 003 520-13.
According to the wiring diagram I have there's no telling which of the 3 relays should be the 4RD unit.
Anyway, they are not operating with the ignition on so I'll trace back to the fuse box although I reckon I'm close to employing a good auto electrician for a couple of days!

cheers
Steve
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feeling a bit dumb at the moment I re read David's reply and opened the fuel injection/efi wiring diagram he referred to and its obvious which relay goes where!
still no fuel pump ( new) or sparjk though so centre console and main dash is going to have to come out bugger!
cheers
Steve
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well with centre console out and all relays proving to work I've discovered that fuse 12 (Fuel pumps) shows no evidence of ever having had wiring connected to either side of the fuse, its just sitting there unused. that explains why I couldn't get a reading on the voltmeter!

So fuel pump runs if I connect a battery direct so I either have an ecu problem or hopefully the Fuel inertia switch as mentioned by Splosh above. This thing has 3 non factory connectors on the leads and I'm thinking they could be the wrong way round.

The wiring diagram has these connections all wrong for my car so anyone know how these connect? there's 3 wires,one from the shut off valve and two white wires?

cheers
Steve
david

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just connect the inertia switch wires together and bypass it temporarily, that is the simplest way to check that out.

I think the two white wires will be ignition supply (possibly one only is 12V and this then feeds the other one), so 12V with the Ign turned on and the other the feed to the relays etc.

Stupid question possibly but - is the ECU plugged in......

With the ignition on you should have 12V at terminal 86 of the main relay - it is then grounded via the ECU to bring in the relay.

Terminal 30 (or 30/51) of the main relay should also be 12V, I think permanent live at this point.

David
Steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

13465 runs!

but only for 10 seconds then needs 5 minutes rest before starting and running another 10 seconds.

As per Davids comments relays were checked (pretty sure the 4RD was in the wrong place) checked 12v where it should be and then per Splosh and David I just connected the 3 intertia switch wires together.

Thanks guys your responses have been wonderful.

Now to search the archives I recall reading of some else who had the 10 second problem somewhere.

cheers
Steve
Steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now idling beautifully, I drove it out of then back into the garage, first time thi s car has run since it was in a fire in 2007.
I'm a happy man!
BUT and there's always a but, the water pump is stuffed so need to do the shaft and bearings, are water pumps real 600 GBP?

cheers
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: