LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

transmission extension housing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: transmission extension housing Reply with quote

OK so the bushing and seal in the auto trans extension housing are the cause of the vibration and fluid leak in my car, looks to be an easy job to replace but first off I need to remove the prop shaft. Has anyone ever done this without removing the engine/transmission or final drive?
I suppose I could remove the universal joint but I imagine that would be a bugger of as job replacing in situ?

cheers
Steve
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can answer my own question now, I pulled the E-Type off the hoist and bit the bullet re Lagonda.
It can be done and not too difficult.

First up drain the transmission.

Use a transmission jack to support diff

Remove the 4 nuts bolts connecting propshaft to diff

Remove the front diff mount bolt

remove rear hydraulic brake line and seal both ends (I use on brake line connectors)

Loosen the 2 rear diff mounts about half way

remove two nuts/bolts from rear diff supports

disconnect handbrake springs from body

Lower diff as far as possible, the back of the diff will foul the de dion tube so carefull here, that will limit how far you can lower the diff but it will come down far enough

Pull propshaft back until it clears the extension housing.

Jack diff back up and refit front mount bolt. ( If you have two transmission jacks you can probably leave the diff lowered on one of them. but I only have one)

Move jack to support the transmission

remove the speedo sender noting exact fitting ( apparently they are adjustable for different ratios)

remove 8 bolts holding bottom of the engine mounts to the mounting plate
remove the 6 bolts holding the plate to the body

remove plate, it will be filthy and oily!

now remove 8 bolts holding the rear engine mount to the trans tunnel and the 2 holding the mount to the extension housing

remove mounting unit.

remove 6 bolts holding extension unit to the transmission.

remove bearing circlip cover which is accessible once engine mount piece is removed.

Using a pair of needle nose pliers hold the circlip open and pull the housing back.

There's enough room to juggle the housing out under the car without removing the exhaust and keeping the prop shaft out of the way.

Took me about 3 hours but could do it in 1 hour now I know what to do.

Hopefully as they say in the Haynes manuals refitting is a reversal of removing Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: