LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parking sensors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobP

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Parking sensors Reply with quote

Hello.
I've recently (and after many years of searching) got my hands on a Lagonda. 1986 series 3 with efi, VIN 13464.
Mechanically sound and and all original it was sitting outside for many years in sun and rain, so it needs a great deal of care.
The car is being completely stripped down for a bare metal respray in it's original colour, at the same time the car is having a complete new interior - wood heat-stripped and revarnished, all new leather, new wool carpets and new head lining. All electrics are being checked end-to-end. The dash is CRT and needs new tubes. At the end of the day it will be as original (and perfect) as possible.
However, there is one enhancement I'm thinking of making, that would have been fitted by AM at the time if available and that's parking sensors front and rear. The bumpers are being removed for the body respray (and will be resprayed themselves in black) and at first glance all I can think of doing is drilling through the bumpers and counter-sinking and colour-coding the parking sensors, but has anyone else gone through this or an alternative exercise?
Thanks, Rob
Vincent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay attention to the fact that the soul of the bumpers is made of steel and then rubber covered. Doing this, with the ages, could damage the rubber and put it away from the steel. I don't recommend to do that.

A better and cheap solution could be a camera or sensors on the support of the back registration plate, with the advantage it's reversible...

an example ( in french ) :

https://www.cdiscount.com/auto/r-support+de+plaque+avec+camera+de+recul.html#_his_

https://www.cdiscount.com/auto/r-radar+de+recul+plaque+immatriculation.html#_his_

It could be possible to put sensors under the front bumper on the low grille ( then not visible ) but far behind the bumper.
RobP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's Vincent. You've confirmed what I was already thinking since posting that question.
There are two reasons why I'm reluctant to start drilling holes in the bumper; 1/. I'm reluctant to do anything that changes the original appearance of the car and 2/. I'm worried that drilling holes in 30 year old rubber will affect it's structural integrity.
So that's off the table!
I've seen camera based solutions but they require a small TFT display in the cabin and I would not want that. There are systems that use a rear-view mirror that shows the view behind when reversing, but that too would be an unoriginal part.
I wonder if it would be possible to show the rear view camera feed on one of the dash CRTs when Reverse is selected, hmmm....
A simple audio solution with a couple of sonic sensors and a beeper in the rear of the cabin would be so much neater.
Thanks for your ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: