LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Lagonda Restorations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am catching up on a few last jobs.

The relays for the cooling fans are mounted on the crossmember in front of the engine. One of mine is held in place with a cable tie. This is because the relay base is damaged, possibly because there has been some heat from a bad connection.

There is also a scotchloc and one of the terminals has been replaced with a blue crimp.

Some of the wires are not in great shape either, with damaged insulation.

Fortunately, I have some new relay bases. The damaged wires are cut and new sections crimped on, with adhesive-lined heat shrink applied. Each crimp going into the relay base is either cleaned with DeoxIt D5 or replaced, and then I put a Hellerman sleeve over the crimped part for good measure.

Back in place. Each terminal has contact grease applied to stop any future deterioration of the contacts which would cause heating/melting.

I found out when I fitted the new temperature sensors and calibrated the dash, that the fans were cutting in at 100 degrees. It turns out that the low thermostatic switch on the radiator was nor working. Time to replace.

Although the old one was 22mm across, new ones are 19mm, which is not a problem because the new rubber seal which accompanies it takes care of the difference.

Here you can see the difference between the new lower one (left) and the old top one. Cable ties are used here to make sure the switch stays in place - it it were to pop out the car would dump all its coolant.

I wasn't happy with one of the crimps so as you can see I replaced it.

Another job under the bonnet - some time ago I cleaned up the drain hoses for the windscreen gutter:

Well, having now seen other cars, I know that the pipes were pained satin black by the factory. This has been grating on me for some time, so I have fixed it:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Lagonda Restorations All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: