LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electrical faults?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Electrical faults? Reply with quote

I recently read that the wiring loom in the average car in 2000 had over 1,400 terminals, and that this had escalated from only around 200 in 1966. For every terminal there is the increased chance of an electrical fault - from poor manufacture, corrosion, water damage, dirt etc.

Now, the DBS V8 in 1970 had around 430, but you would expect more from a high-end motor car with things like electric windows. I imagine this changed little in the 70s and 80s as the car remained very similar prior to the introduction of EFI in 1986.

So - what of the Lagonda? I counted up from a 1982 wiring diagram - the loom as it would have been for the production run at launch with the touch panels.

My calculation is 1,700 terminals in the wiring loom, so the loom was four times as complex and four times as likely to develop a fault than the V8!
Lagondanet
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan

That would explain a lot!

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Main Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: