LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brake Light Switch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AML_Canada

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Brake Light Switch Reply with quote

Anyone sourced a replacement for the brake light switch mounted up high under the dash near the brake pedal pivot. It has 4 connections. One pair is normally connected and the other pair normally disconnected. When applied the connections become opposite.
jonc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have any markings on it? As far as I can tell, it is not a Lucas item, and the AM V8 had a pressure switch in the brake like for the lights.

There will be two sets of contacts because one set is needed for the cruise control cancel, something not on the V8.

I wonder if something like this would be a better replacement: http://www.flyingspares.com/shop/rolls-royce-spirit-spur-bentley-turbo-mulsanne/electrical/senders-transmitters/brake-switches/brake-light-cruise-control-switch-ud72267.html

The use of off-the-shelf microswitches would make it reliable, but also easy to fix.

Jonathan
AML_Canada

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a Lucas switch; did note the info down somewhere... Will post when I find it....

However, the RR dual microswitch you suggested is a FAR better replacement. I was actually thinking to fabricate something exactly like that!

Thank You! Smile

jonc wrote:
Does it have any markings on it? As far as I can tell, it is not a Lucas item, and the AM V8 had a pressure switch in the brake like for the lights.

There will be two sets of contacts because one set is needed for the cruise control cancel, something not on the V8.

I wonder if something like this would be a better replacement: http://www.flyingspares.com/shop/rolls-royce-spirit-spur-bentley-turbo-mulsanne/electrical/senders-transmitters/brake-switches/brake-light-cruise-control-switch-ud72267.html

The use of off-the-shelf microswitches would make it reliable, but also easy to fix.

Jonathan
jonc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great - let us know how you get on. I would still like to know the make of the original switch - maybe we can track it down.
jonc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like the nearest equivalent:

It is made by Standard Motor Products as an aftermarket replacement. Part no is SLS110. Alternative manufacturer: Sorensen SW-138. Compatibility seems to be listed as:

71-85 BUICK
70-85 CADILLAC
67-89 CHEVY
68-85 OLDSMOBILE

From different manufacturers I have seen it in black, grey and white plastic.

These are ten dollar commodity parts. Personally, I would use the Rolls-Royce alternative if I had to replace one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Main Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: