LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alvira and her woes...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Alvira and her woes... Reply with quote

She is black, she is beautifull but she sleeps in an other man's garage....
Alvira is comming of age. The age of restoration, that is. The man touching her now adays, a man by the name of Bill, is an artisan and I suspect that he is madly in love with her...I can tell by the look in his eyes and the way she just sits there waiting for him to caress, beautify and iron out her robe...

He is a thru lover of rare cars. He told me yesterday, when I came by to take the front grill out to have it rechromed, that it is not uncommon to have a few fish eyes on a paint job and by that he meant 3 or 4... Alvira had a rash of them... he showed me about 50...plus specks of dust galore!! His original quote of $800.00 to fix it has not been discussed but he works in a small shop with only one working area and a parking space for an other car. He as been working on it for the last 10 days...The buffing of the specks of dust is done, fish eyes are addressed, compound is to come and he gave up on the mirrors, he will sand them down and repaint from scratch.

I will keep you posted on the final dammage to the wallet...

So I took out the front grill to have it rechromed and I send the contour of it to an other artisan. It should be back in 3 weeks, with a price of $135.00.

The mesh or stripes part of the grill, I kept home. Since it was a bit rusty on the frame (the part to which the chrome bars are welded to)I decided to sand it down to bear metal and repaint it with flat black anticorrosion paint.

The painting part of the job is about 57 seconds for both coats... the meticulus taping of the chrome bars...3 hours. I still have not taken the tape out, I will do this tonight but I suspect an other 2 hours... So a great pass time of a couple of evennings but mostly a job for a monk!

This is my report for this week and I hope that it was pleasent as well as informative for you all to read.

Francis who hopes to see all of you this summer in Germany.

By the way, I don't know in which port I will land since I will decide a few days before leaving, and that will be early August, based on the ships leaving Montreal for Europe that week. Possibly Antwerpen or Bremen or South Hampton.

I would like to tour Danemark, Holland, possibly England and Germany. I would like to do a castle tour, like the Château de Gilly that we visited last summer after Arthur's recommendation. Smile
Lagondanet
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francis,

I salute you & Bill for your care and attention!
I look forward to meeting you & Alvira in Europe later this year.

Very Happy
Bernardb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Francis

let me know if you arrive in Antwerp

anyway,it will be a pleasure seeing you here in Belgium

bernard
Francis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

If I land in Southampton (Alvira) and I go for a spin in Newport Pagnell before going back down to Dover, will I be anywhere close to you at any point?
Lagondanet
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francis

There is talk (on the AMOC members' forum) that Works Service at Newport Pagnell is transferring to AML at Gaydon in Oxfordshire. I don't know how imminent this is.
As far as LagondaV82008 is concerned so far I have only booked my hotel in France & my wife's flight back from Zurich. My plans are therefore not fixed yet, but it may be possible for us to meet up en route.
Mitrovic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, me too, I am looking to meet Alvira!

Zoran
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Main Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: