LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMOC Register & classification

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lagondanet
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: AMOC Register & classification Reply with quote

Tim writes

I also have another request than may need some discussion.

Upto now the register has divided V8 cars into series - so V8 saloons were DBSV8 (series 1), AMV8 bosch fi were series 2 etc.

We have dropped the 'series' tag but kept the 5 types of AMV8.

So to the Lags. we used to have s1 to s4, the S1 being the 1974 V8 Lagondas, series 2 being the first wedge, series 3 being the efi wedge and series 4 being the rounded wedge.

The issue is that the AMOC came up with S1,2,3 and 4 - not the factory. AML classify the cars according to the dash design!

So I favor 2 sub sets - early wedge and rounded wedge. But what to call them! So since I cannot really find a factory name, I have currently grouped them together.

So, as I'd rather make an informed decision based on the views of owners, I would like some input please

Jonc writes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest, I find that the classification by dash design makes more sense.

It is something easily distinguishable without having to look under the bonnet, and to me represents a more major change to the car than the fuel injection.

I also don't mind the 1/2/3/4 - I think it helps with the misnomer that S2 onwards was a 'Towns' Lagonda when really they all were. Having said that, 'Lagonda' was used on four door Virages so I don't think that helps.

I write

AMOC devised the 1 to 4 series
AML appear not to have any consistent system. Model 106? Mark I/Mark II?
There was constant development during the production of 645 units, 3 dashboards and 2 body styles.
I suggest we call the current Series 1 'V8 Lagonda', modify the current Series 2-4 to just 2 subsets grouped together as Tim says ie. original & rounded with the name 'Aston Martin Lagonda', and the later Virage style cars just 'Lagonda'.

Very Happy
jonc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120884290231

'Series III Instrumentation' - a supplement to the owner's handbook TP5073S-1-1086-300.

I haven't seen this before - I am assuming it (and the other two the seller is offering) are genuine items..

Based on the other items from this seller, I would say AML were referring to the CRT cars as the Series III (October 1984 on).
Lagondanet
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this before but not sure if I have one.

Series III Instrumentation?

LED
CRT
VF

Then we still have the remodelled S4 with VF!
Also when did the badges stop saying AML and just say Lagonda?
jonc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point - the supplement has the Lagonda branding without Aston Martin. However, this was introduced with the revised interior / opening rear windows at 13284 and so during the LED dash.

My assumption was that the Series III referred to the car, not specifically the dash.
Tim_C

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, you are correct that you have seen it before as I have one

The instrumentation Featured is the VF type,it certainly does not refer to a series 3 car at all
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Main Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: