LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bonnet/Boot gas spring and fuel pump interchanges?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulvv

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Bonnet/Boot gas spring and fuel pump interchanges? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am helping a friend out with his 1983 Lagonda. The gas springs for both the boot and the bonnet are bad. Any leads on replacements?

Also the internal fuel pump is bad. We are now running a generic external fuel pump, but would like to refit a new internal one. I've found a few Buick applications that "look" the same.......but perhaps someone has already found the correct replacement.

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Vincent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Springs are findable as generic parts at Boyriven ( Lorry&trucks parts ) : I just have to search about the load of the springs ( if anyone knows , he would be gentle to let me know ) because I don't find any indication about this on mines.
No idea about the pump.
david

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have not seen a picture of the fuel pump, only the illustration in the parts book, section 2.6A.

The Jaguar in - tank fuel pump as fitted to S11 XJ6 carburetted cars in the 1970's is a similar concept except that the pump is in line with the end plate, whereas from the drawing it looks like the pump in the Lagonda is at 90 degrees to the end plate.

The 4.2L XJ6 weighed just under two tons and had around 245 BHP and used 2 2 inch SU carbs, doing around maybe 19 MPG on a fast run, figures not a million miles off the Lagonda, I think, so maybe this pump would be good enough if it can be adapted?

It is possible that there are numbers on the pump body that can be compared if you take your existing one out and have a look at it.

Are you sure though, that the fault is not just a simple case of the "sock" filter on the end of the pump being blocked?

Regards

David
paulvv

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the posts....

The fuel pump was definitely non operational when removed. This was after diagnosing to a suspected faulty pump. I will research the Jaguar substitution lead (thanks David!)

I have a gas spring catalog. I will post the results for the interchange shortly.

I am working on this car for a friend. I regret selling my Lagonda!

Best Regards

Paul
han

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref gassprings for the bonnet.
After having mentally recovered by the price quoted by aston martin for new springs I did a little research and found some replacements from a most reputed manufacturer called Stabilus. their part number was 084484.
they should have a lenght of 405 with a stroke of 160. the ting to note about them is that they are of the heavy duty type with a load of 600newton.the cost was about 30 pounds a piece.
regards han
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: