LagondaNet Forum Index LagondaNet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heater issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Heater issues Reply with quote

Guys,

I have a question about the heater in my Lagonda.

On the left corner is a tuggle button that turns left to right, blue to red.

I assume this is the heater temperature control. Am I right?

It is November here in Canada and I plan on driving Alvira to Quebec City on trhe weekend of the 15th.

This week end, for the first time I was driving Alvira in cold weather and using that button I could not get the temperature to warm up. I also moved the lever with the indications Low, High etc... to direct the flow to the feet or the body or the windshield to defrost but could not get the temperature to go up.

Am I mising something? is there a problem here to be fixed?

Anyone's input is welcomed.

Francis
dyeger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francis, is the switch you refer to sliding device from blue to red? If so warm up the car and slide the switch to red. On the passenger side of the car there is a gold colored device on a black hose that controls the flow of coolant into the heater core. It is vacuum driven. If it does not open, there will be no heat. Let me know if that is the problem and I can help you from there.

Dave
Francis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Is this gold device under the dash? Can you guide me where it is?

Thanks
dyeger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francis, it is in the engine compartment up against the firewall between the engine and the fender well on the passenger side on LHD cars. There should be clear vacuum hose attached to it which is running into the car on the driver side of the engine to under the dash. There is connects to one of the four vacuum switches under the dash.
Francis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks, I will check this week end.
Francis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Here are some picture of the part you told me to check. It is clogged and the inner membrane does not open fully. Some flow, pushed by the pressure from the radiator could go thru and that happens when the valve is in it's resting position. When pushed, the AC can be activated. What I don't understand is that even in that position no heat comes out... check the pictures:

PS I replaced the valve with the valve I took from 13422, a newer part but not a new one. I have tryed the car and still no heat comes out. I filled it up with anti-freeze liquid and only drove it for about one mile in city traffic...(it is only 3:30 here in Montreal and jammed packed with traffic). Maybe I should wait later and drive it longer...but that would clash with my Friday night drinking problem... Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://picasaweb.google.com/Francis200261/AlviraNov2008#
dyeger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francis, check the vacuum hose leading into the valve to ensure that it is being switch properly. If not, the hose may be bad or the switch under the dash may be bad. Does the blower come on when it is supposed to be providing heat? If not, there may be an electrical problem with the controller or the temperature sensor.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. You can get a better response by emailing me directly.

Dave
Francis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fan turns on properly, but the knob on the dash seems to be loose. it turns with out any resistance from one stop position to the other side's stop position. I think that I will have to replace the hoses or tubes to fix that problem or otherwise it is the switch. My hunch is that the tubes are bad.

As soon as I am done with my rear window replacement project, I will get to that one.

Thanks for the input. I have all winter long to work on that one...

Francis
billmorrow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

francis..

13422 the purchase that keeps on giving.. Smile

uhmm, was the AC control still in 13422 when you picked it up..?
if so, then follow the hose from the vac valve position to the AC controller switch and be sure it is not rotten..

those old hoses to not last forever and it is not miles but age in years that will make them decay..

when 13422 was still mine i removed the heater/AC hose assembly, complete, for jeff..
this was before his murder..
and i sent him pix of it with all the hoses properly labeled as to where they went..
i suppose i can go look as i know where that hose setup is, in a carton in the garage and i will if asked..
i can also see if i can find the pix..
theye are here, someplace attached to an email sent to jeff and somewhere on several terrabytes of HDD, spinning aimlessly.. Smile
She was not what you would call refined.
She was not what you would call unrefined.
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~Mark Twain~~
Francis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

the whole dash was stripped when I got 13422...no such luck. I had nothing to go back to for the heater issue.

Francis
billmorrow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francis wrote:
Bill,

the whole dash was stripped when I got 13422...no such luck. I had nothing to go back to for the heater issue.

Francis

ahh, well..

i must have those parts here, someplace..

if a new owner for 13394 does not want those parts i will be happy to send them to you..

i know i kept the wood parts for 13394 since i was and still am, unless i sell her, redoing the instruments..
the digital instruments work just fine but i am conflicted whether to add a GPS and a few other "whiz-BANG!" items..

well, all you bought was the rear end and from what i can see the repair job is terrific..

i was also wondering why you did not just swap the rear doors from 13422 into elvira..
rather than try to redo the existing doors and add wiring..

still, i am really pleased to see elvira came back so pretty.. Smile

now you will caution anyone who must drive her to be very careful Confused with where they place their feet..
She was not what you would call refined.
She was not what you would call unrefined.
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~Mark Twain~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LagondaNet Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: